Saturday 26 June 2010

Linda Straw workshop

Last weekend I was lucky enough to go away for the weekend with 5 friends for a weekend of creativity.  I'd like to say that it was a weekend of quilting - but that was just a small part of it....

It was run by Linda Straw, who was an amazing bundle of energy, and an absolute inspriation (I just hope I have that much get-up-and-go when I get to her age - she left us all breathlesss!!).  She describes herself as a qulter extraordinaire - and when you see work like this, it's no wonder:


Yes - that's all done in silk, and with a sewing machine. 

As is this:


a dress with designs based on Revelations.

As Linda says herself, "Every stitch on the surface is by machine. Initially, the work is drawn on paper and transferred to fine vilene, the latter being incorporated within the work. Sewing from the back, through the design, the wadding, the silk fabric and appliqué silk the work takes shape. Only when all appliqué is in place do I turn over to embellish and embroider on the front. Large pieces are made in sections and then joined".


It would be lovely to report that after two days we were able to create similar works- no such luck!!
 
Stage 1 was drawing the intial design.  Now, I'm not really artistic at all - every now and then, when the nephews come to visit, we have a drawing competition, and I usually come last, even when no allowance is made for the fact that I'm 30 years older than them.....

Luckily, there were a lot of books to glance through for inspiration - otherwise I would probably still be there, chewing the end of my pencil and looking out of the window for ideas (just like being at school again!).



And this is what I ended up with!!

Not in silk - but in polysilk - a lot cheaper for practising with.  Still unfinished - but I'm hoping to crack on with it during the World  Cup football matches this afternoon.

I enjoyed it so much that I'm hoping to be able to sneak out of the house today to see if I can locate a purveyor of polysilk in Sheffield, to make another one.

And this is what everyone else came up with (please bear in mind that these are all unfinished...):


by Avis


By Janet - based on a stained glass window -


by Tisha



by Karen



by Di

And I now have so much more confidence in my machine sewing skills - I can't believe that all that stitching was machine produced!!!

The weekend included full board - and I mean FULL board - I was absolutely stuffed with excellent food and drink- and home made and home prepared.


This was my bedroom. 

Yes.

Really.

SO - if you fancy doing something similar, I can heartily recommend it - in fact, I'm hoping that we can go back again next year!!

No comments: