Wednesday 16 June 2010

Malvern

I was lucky enough to go to the Malvern quilt show a few weeks ago, adn  two posts ago I put up a photo of a quilt that I hope to get started very soon. 

I really like going to the Malvern show - it's a much more manageable size than the NEC, and it always seems so friendly.

The weather was fabulous, and I wish I'd had enough battery power left in my camera to take some photos at lunchtime of the array of people scattered over the benches outside, nibbling at their packed lunches - the frugal and thrify quilters had come prepared - and then there were those who had decided to splurge on an ice-lolly.

I must have taken oodles and oodles of photos - here are some of my favourites:

The winner forth theme section - use of colour.  The attention to detail was fabulous.







I liked the playfulness of this one, done in varying fonts, all appliquéd on...



 The winner for best large wall hanging (I think), but Susan Brisco, done in sashiko.


This one I liked, as I have been lucky enough to visit New Zealand twice - but have never managed to create anything like this as a souvenir. 


Based on a Christmas card of 'The 12 days of Christmas' carol.


This last one won a certificate, along with a judge's comment about lovely choice of colour.  However, this quilt was run as a Block of the Month quilt by Antique Angel - maybe this particular person did it on their own to their own design, as it certainly wasn't listed as being a BoM in the show notes - but at least 1 person with whom I went had the whole set at home - in these colours - waiting to be assembled. Hmm.  There were plenty of other quilts in the show that had been made from kits /Block of the Month / commercial patterns - and they had cited it as such in the programme. 


This one was a group project - I liked the way it all seemed to blend together, yet each section was individual .....


 

This was the winner in the miniature section, and to show you just how small it was, here it is with the other miniature quilts.  Those aren't giant rosettes - theyr'e normal size - but those are teeny weeny quilts!



Quilted by the amazing Ferret  - on leather......




 A lovely pictoral quilt.

1 comment:

Diane said...

What a lot of talent!! I wouldn't know where to start! xxx