Sunday 31 August 2008

Quiz

I don't usually do these - but I couldn't resist this one:




You Belong in 1988



Wild, over the top, and just a little bit cheesy. You're colorful at night - and successful during the day.



And it's scarily accurate - 1988 was my second year at university.......

I've been playing with my new toy (see photo from my last post) but alas, there have been many tears and tantrums, most of which were solved by actually reading the instruction manual...

Sadly, we're having new windows fitted next week, and so all sewing has to cease while surtains are taken down and furniture shifted about, so that the window men can get to work. I'm hoping that it'll all be worth it - especially given the 26% price rise in gas and electricity - hopefully I won't hav to put the heating on ever again (I really must finish some quilts before winter sets in...).

I originally decided to get the new windows when we moved in and found that none of them opened at all - immediately my imagination went into overdrive, wondering how we would escape in the event of fire / burglar etc. Jim was more concerned about keeping cool over the summer, but as it's rained non-stop, no need to worry there.

Ironically, I did manage to force a window open a few weeks ago, in the spare room, only to find that the rain made the wood swell up, and now it wont shut (and still it keeps raining...).

Our house was built in 1932, and still has the original wooden frames and stained glass. I got quotes to have them replaced like for like, but it was coming in at over 26 thousand pounds, and uPVC was priced at under 6 thousand, including replacing the stained glass. A no-brainer, I suppose, and I guess it will look better and be better insulated - but I shall miss the look and feel of the wood (even if it was a potential death-trap!!!).

Still, that's a lot of money saved to be spent on other things like FABRIC and new SEWING MACHINES!!!!!!! Oh yes, and bills.....

No comments: