Saturday 20 September 2008

Progress on a WIP - underground railroad


I started this some time ago, and completed six blocks, both a 12 1/2 and 6 1/2 inch size. I'm using the book by Eleanor Burns

I know there are a lot of dedicated quilters out there who scoff at her books, dismissing them as too simplistic - but you know what? I have a busy and timeconsuming job, and when I've spent all day telling other people what to do, and making decisions, it's nice to come home and simply let someone else make them for me. At the weekend I try to be more adventurous - but during the week I simply don't have the energy to do anything creative in terms of design - making , yes, but not the design decisions.

But then I ran out of steam halfway through the quilt top (s)....

To be honest, they didn't look the way I wanted them to. Added to which, the plan had been to make it up into a single bed quilt for our spare room, and a wall hanging to echo it, but then we moved house - and now have a double bed in the spare room, thereby rendering this quilt obsolete for our house.

Anyway, I got the blocks out last week, and thought 'Well, they're not that bad - someone will like them' and manged to get a few more done.



This one is Wagon Wheel, and I found it almost impossible to get the centre circle sorted. On the larger one, I've sort of bodged it and it's nearly round. For the smaller one, I had to give up and use Bondawab to stick it on with, as the suggested way just didn't seem to work.


This one is a variation on Flying Geese. Fiddly - and it's not the right size in either the 12 1/2 or the 6 1/2 block. I need to rethink this one, and either add a narrow border around them both, or remake them. To be honest, I think remaking is the preferred option - I just can't see how it will look satisfactory in any other way.
And yes, I do know that pressing the blocks before photographing them would have been a good idea - but I'm going out in about 15 minutes, and wanted to get these up as soon as I could - just so that I could prove that I had completed something at long last!!! (and they're photographed on the new sofa...)

2 comments:

Jennyff said...

Maybe its something about quilting, I haven't even blog my efforts since I bought the material I've made such poor progress. We're not supposed to beat ourselves up about our hobbies so don't just be proud of what you have done!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Oh I just love the fabric you've chosen for this...I should've visited you sooner! :) You make me want to go sew!