Friday 6 February 2009

Another Day at Home

Well, so much for no more posts until I get back...

School was cancelled again today - and (excuse me while I have a rant) I'm getting fed up of people saying on the radio / in the papers that when they were at school in 1992 / 1963 / 1947 / whenever, that they walked to school following a snow plough, or that the drifts were over 5 foot deep but school still opened.

Society has moved on. It's changed. Staff and students commute much further to school than they ever used to - and they can't get there without public transport.

Our school has shut today because safety can't be guaranteed - you only have to watch the news to see that as a nation we're running out of grit and salt - so you can pretty much assume that what's left is being used to keep roads and hospitals open - not necessarily schools.


End of rant.

So, after I'd emailed work to all my students, this is what I did with my day:


built a (quite small) snowman - but it was jolly cold out there

... and my assistant kept complaining about the cold.
and made three blocks for my SBS:


I'm not wildly happy with them - but hey - I bought the fabric a year ago, and have putting off getting started - no idea why!! It could have been that all the blocks I've seen on others poeple's blogs and galleries look so much more delicious than mine!! The only problem is that the Handy Andy is too small - even though it was foundation pieced. It's about 5.5 inches instead of 6.5.

Somehow I can reset the printer to print it correctly- but I can't figure it out. I know that there's a book coming out later this year with the patterns in - maybe I should leave the foundation pieced ones until then.

Only another 117 blocks to go...


But now I've started, I'm itching to crack on with the next one.....

but I can't
because
I'm going to quilt camp
NOW!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jennyff said...

We've had a lot more snow in Scotland so I hope you got to your quilt camp OK. Like the blocks you've made especially the bottom one, looks like a tile I bought in America. Keep warm, keep crafting.