Monday 2 February 2009

Yes? No? Yes? No?

The weather forecast said that today would bring the worst snow seen in the UK for 5 / 10 / 18 years - depending on what you were listening to / reading /watching.

But I - cynically - thought that this was probably some scaremongering, and that there may well be some flurries - so no need to take any extra precautions.

Well - it's been snowing all day - and those of us ho didn't go dressed suitably ...




.. were very cold. And narrowly avoided falling over at work. Several times. I KNEW I should have put boots on today...

My journey home took 90 minutes, as opposed to 10 - which isn't bad when I hear what other people were up to. I did okay until I came to descend the final hill - where the kids were toboganning in the middle of the road - you can't really blame them, I suppose - and at the bottom I turned into our road. I edged along it very cautiously - I should have known that this was a tricky area in snow when we bought the house - there's a gritting box at the end of the road - I tried to turn into the drive and EEEEKK spun round and about, coming to a halt right across the road.

Nothing else for it - hazard lights on, and a quick dash (in MOST unsuitable shoes - serves me right) to get Jim to push me out of the road and into the drive - there was just TOO MUCH SNOW to get the car into my own drive.



I counld't really have a go at Jim for not clearing a path - it simply hadn't occured to him - and besides which, he'd gone on a shopping expedition this morning at about 8 am, thinking, as I did, that this was just another fus about a miniscule amount of snow. The nearest supermarket is about 30 minutes walk away - and so you can imagine that when he came out, laden with the groceries, to find that it was snowing heavily - it was a bit of a shock (You wouldn't think that he had grown up in Glasgow and so should be used to the cold and the snow).

So now it's a question of waiting to see whether school is open or not tomorrow - I should know by 10pm tonight...

And if you're reading this in a location where snow is normal in winter - well, in the UK, we pretty well shut down when it snows. The whole country does. It just happens. Every year. I lived in Germany from 1989-1990, and I remember being quite surprised when it snowed heavily - and everyday life just kept on as usual....

1 comment:

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

That snow looks crazy.... hope you keep dry and warm.