Sunday 1 March 2009

weekend activities

Spent today at Clumber Park with a friend and her small children - recovering from the workshop I went to yesterday by feeding the ducks in the lake.



The block we made on Saturday was called Spinning star, and involved piecing and then folding back material. I got the block completed, but as I didn't take any wadding, couldn't get the folding started.

These are all the completed blocks from the group:



(Mine is the one on a yellow background, top left).

I had intended to make a throw, but I think that I'll put a border on this one block, layer it up and quilt it - and then pass it on to my mum for mother's day (22nd March!!).

And I also bought a layer cake last week, to make a quilt for another friend. I haven't got very far yet.....



Yes, that's right - it's still wrapped up (sorry Sally!!). I need to speak to her as the pattern I'm using involves some decision making - if I were making this for myself, there'd be no problem, but as it's for someone else, I'm worried about making a design error....

And in addition, I've started a quilt for (yet) another friend, for her 40th. It's not a serious one - I'm using the gymkhana fabric from Makower that came out last year, I think.

We met in our first year at secondary school, when we were 11, and at the time she was pony mad (and quite possibly still is). As soon as I saw this fabric, I thought of her, so I'm making a throw to remind her of all the hours spent readng the Pullein-Thompson novels, and going to see the local ponies....





I'm making 2 different blocks, and it's going together really fast.
I know she'll like it - she'll appreciate the gesture and the thought behind it!!!

2 comments:

Jennyff said...

I can't believe how much lovely quilting you manage to do. I particularly like the horsey one, your friend will be delighted.

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

Wow!
They are all so beautiful, that I`m struggling to find a favorite!
Debbie Moss