Sunday 4 January 2009

Unresolved resolutions

SO...

the cake did get iced - on New Year's Eve.

The mince pies were consumed, with much relish and smacking of lips.

And very little sewing was done......

....various friends and relatives descended, some with only a few hours notice, and stayed with us - necessitating much moving of furniture and rearranging -and no access to sewing machines :-(

But it's a timely reminder of what is really important in life - I think I would rather lose a week of free time to spend it with family than have plenty of time to complete an immaculate piece of work to show off.

Three years ago, in January, my father died unexpectedly - he wasn't ill, he was relatively fit and young (62). It was an enormous shock to all of us - and a reminder to spend time with people that you love.

For the last 2 years or so, I've taken to working late more and more - and I need to stop this in 2009. I realise that leaving for work at 6.45, and getting back after 20.00 isn't good and it isn't healthy - I hadn't seen many of the people who came round since the summer holidays - 4 months ago - because ' I don't have time - I have to work'. I barely see Jim from Monday to Friday, and then spend the weekend asleep.

So once again , my new year's resolutions- which I failed to fulfil in 2008 but will try again in 2009 are:
  • to lose weight
  • to get more active
  • to make more time for family and friends
  • to complete projects / finish off WIPs and UFOs
  • to leave work by 17.00 at least twice a week
  • to keep things in perspective

Oh yes, and to remember to photograph things so that I don't post text only......

No comments: