Wednesday 24 February 2010

Homemade or handmade?


What is the difference between homemade and hand made? Is it that homemade has connotations of being somewhat amateurish, and perhaps a bit scruffy, whereas handmade has more of an artisitic slant?

I don't know.
But I do know that I like things that have been homemade/handmade.

These are necklaces made by Jo, out of antique / vintage / old - whatever you like to call them - beads and buttons. She makes them to sell, and then donates the proceeds to charity. These two were made for me, but when she handed them over, to my embarrassment, I hadn't got enough cash to pay for them.
But as we were in the LQS at the time, she was more than happy to take fabric instead (and who wouldn't?), so that I could pay by card, and with the new fabric she's going to make some Project Linus quilts.




And this was my favourite Christmas present:


made by my mother. It's not perfect - but what I like is that she took the time to make something personal (although it could of course be a reminder to get out in that garden and get planting...)

Finally - Mr Z&Z and I have been going to cookery classes for the last 5 weeks or so. It's all lottery funded, with the idea being that we learn a new technique, and then go home and share it with friends. We haven't got that far yet - but look:


my first ever quiche!!!

We now have a delivery date for our new kitchen - only ten weeks until I can cook in my own house again.

1 comment:

Jennyff said...

Maybe home or hand made depends on the item, eg you'd say a homemade cake or homemade jam but then something sewn would probably be handmade. I think both phases are wonderful and special, think how big shops now describe mass produced items as handfinished to make them more desirable. More power to crafters I say.