Sunday 8 November 2009

Remembrance Sunday



I took a photo of this quilt at the Festival of Quilts in 2008 - but omitted to record who made it, so if anyone knows, I'll be more than happy to add the details here.




Each of the white poppies is made by photocopying some letters sent back from the front.

I'd planned to put a picture of the war memorial in Kirkby-cum-Osgodby, where I travelled to last week, putting together pieces of the family history. Harry, my great-grandfather, is recorded on here, having been killed on July 1st 1916 in the Somme, aged 26.
But alas - no picture, as my camera is still with my mother.

Today at 11am Mr Z&Z and I were in the supermarket, where the minute silence was solemnly observed by everyone except a family close to where we were.

To be fair, I don't think they heard the tannoy announcement - but you'd think they would have realised that the entire shop had stopped - tills/shopping/conversations - the lot.

This year's commemorations were really brought home to me when I saw my home town (near York) on the news, where local residents were remembering a local boy killed just last week on a tour of duty.


On a more cheerful (but still related) note, I really like this idea - knitting a poppy to wear, instead of (or maybe as well as???) the plastic ones. The pattern can be found here, but is only available until the end of Thursday.

My knitting skills are poor, but I'm still pondering on whether to download the instructions and bribe a friend to knit one up for me???

No comments: