Tuesday 17 November 2009

Second Delivery!

I had a pleasant day in Birmingham today to learn about this and that in lovely Bournville. I'd never been there before, and wished we'd had longer to look around the area. Bournville was originally built as a model village for the employées of the Cadbury chocolate factory, with 313 houses being built.

Because the founder, George Cadbury, was a Quaker, there is no pub. If you're not British, you may not understand the importance of this - traditionally, a lot of British social life rotates around the pub.....not necessarily involving alcohol, but they tend to serve as the hub of the local community.

In 2003 it was voted as one of the best places to live in the UK



And Bournville chocolate remains one of my favourites EVER - dark and yummy... I know there are those who claim that it is too sweet. Well, that just leaves all the more for me.....

I had this delivery at the end of last week, from Livinia in Florida:


Some more strips for my snowball challenge. I look at other blogs of those participating, and see that they've already got their strips - I think mine have probably got held up in the postal strike and are somewhere in the system.

Hopefully they'll be here soon - in the meantime, I DO need to get on with my red blocks....

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Yours arrived on Saturday! When my hubby mailed them he said we would have little luck due to your Royal Mail strike....little did he know that we must have had a delivery person who was a fellow quilter and could "smell" the fabric! I love the postcards-we collect them when we travel so this was so appropriate for us! Your letter was such a nice touch-wish I would have been so creative and thoughtful!